Lean & Green Healthy Instant Pot Napa Cabbage & Kimchi Stew
Every heard of Kimchi-jjigae or kimchi stew? Well this amazing Korean dish, is typically made with kimchi and other ingredients, such as pork or seafood, scallions, onions, and diced Dubu. We substituted eggs and tofu for the protein to give a lighter variation of this wonderful dish. Cut out the eggs in yours to make a vegetarian version!
Slow Cooker Method: Add all of the ingredients except the eggs to your slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook for 2 hours on low or until cabbage is tender. Then add the eggs, re-cover, and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes. Serve in bowls and garnish with scallions.
About Chris Sloan
My name is Chris Sloan and I, like so many others, struggled with my weight for years, not realizing the toll being overweight was taking on my body. At the beginning of 2021, I began to take my weight loss efforts seriously and have lost 75 lbs so far on the plan. It's been amazing, and while my journey isn't over, I'm well on my way!
When I started, I had a hard time finding the top 5 and 1 recipes, so I was so inspired to build this website to help compile some of what I felt are the best recipes around. I'm happy to share it with you as well!
For those new to the plan, weighing your food is an integral part of the program; it's one of the critical elements. If you want to be successful, you need to ensure that each meal has been weighed according to the guidelines. And we're not talking about "close enough." We mean EXACTLY those amounts! So forget about using a measuring cup or even eyeballing it—you need a food scale!
We've worked hard to make sure that all recipes listed are approved for the plan.
The recipes on this site are intended for those on plan; however, they can easily be adapted to a low-carb or keto lifestyle. If you are following a ketogenic or low-calorie diet, you can enjoy many recipes found here to help keep you on track for your weight loss efforts.
5-1 Plan Must Have Items
Save to Your Recipes
We're Social Too
Invite a Friend
Helpful Cooking Utensils
- 5 cup Napa Cabbage
- 1/4 cup Kimchi Chopped
- 2 small Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 tbsp Korean Chili Flakes
- 1/2 cup Kimchi Juice
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 3 cup Water
- 8 large Eggs (optional)*
- 20 oz Soft Tofu Drained
- 2 stalk Scallions Sliced
- Push saute button on Instant Pot. Once hot, add cabbage, kimchi (no sugar added), garlic, and Korean chili flakes or (paprika), and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the kimchi juice, vinegar, and water. Secure lid, push to stew mode, and adjust time to 10 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, naturally release pressure. Open the lid, and add eggs one at a time. Push saute button again and cook eggs to desired consistency. (Remove eggs for a vegetarian version)
- Cut tofu (drained and patted dry with a paper towel or cloth) into small cubes. Add tofu to stew and simmer for another few minutes.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with scallions.