Lean and Green Chicken and Kohlrabi Noodle Soup
- 1Healthy Fat
Originally a Hungarian dish, this modified version of Kohlrabi Soup, Chicken and Kohlrabi Noodle Soup, is savory and delicious. If you're looking to add a new cuisine to your pallet, give this a try!
Prepare a bowl with Ice/Water for cooling of boiled eggs, and 1 small resealable bag to marinate eggs. Kohlrabi is a German Turnip. ZUCCHINI or RADISH "noodles" may be used in place of kohlrabi.
About Chris Sloan
My name is Chris Sloan and I, like so many others struggled with my weight for years not realizing the toll being overweight was taking on my body. At the beginning of 2021 I began to take my weight loss efforts seriously and have lost 75 lbs so far on the OPTAVIA optimal weight 5 in 1 Plan! It's been amazing, and while my journey isn't over, I'm well on my way!
When I started I had a hard time finding the top OPTAVIA 5&1 recipes, so I was so inspired to build this website to help compile some of what I felt are the best OPTAVIA recipes around. I'm happy to share it with you as well!
For those not familiar, OPTAVIA is not some fad diet but instead is a program designed to help those who are looking to lose weight make better choices with their health and wellness via better habits.
OPTAVIA 5&1 Plan Must Have Items
Save to Your Recipes
Join our Facebook Group
Lean and Green Recipes
We're Social Too
Invite a Friend
Helpful Cooking Utensils
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 tbsp Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
- 21/2 lbs Kohlrabi
- 11/4 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Sliced
- 2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 stalk Green Onions Chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Chili Oil
- Place eggs into a small sauce pan and cover with an inch of water. Bring water to a boil, and simmer gently for 6 minutes. Once cooked, place eggs in ice cold water and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Carefully peel the eggs and place them into a small, resealable bag. Add 2 tablespoon soy sauce and gently push out as much air as possible from the bag. Seal and allow eggs to marinate for one hour.
- Combine chicken (thinly sliced) with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and allow to marinate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, peel the kohlrabi and cut or slice it with a "spiralizer", vegetable peeler, or mandolin to make long "noodles'" Set aside.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the crushed red pepper flakes, kohlrabi "noodles", and chicken. Simmer until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the basil leaves and scallions.
- Remove the eggs from the soy marinade and cut in half. Arrange an equal amount of kohlrabi noodles and chicken into four soup bowls, and carefully pour an equal amount of broth over top. Garnish 2 eggs (halved), sesame seeds, and 1/4 teaspoon of chili oil per bowl.